Wednesday, August 1, 2007

From Bachelorhood to Single Parenthood

The girls returned, not much worse for wear and tear. Two days of that necessary evil I call "work" and then Cathy left last night for a Mary Kay bachelorette part....errr...seminar in Dallas. So far, Sara's feeding pump "went to beepin'" three times during the night...and (I really am getting old) I "slept in" until 7:45...party animal that I am.
This week should prove to be one of two things: the re-appearance of the "White Tornado" that once was my househusbandly self - or - the return to childhood and playing with dollies and make-up with the girls and do just enough housework to keep the rodentia away. A mix of the two would be optimal, and I hope it works out that way.
Apropos of nothing, the song, "Sweet Victory" from the "Squidward's Band" episode of Spongebob Squarepants is from the voice of the one-time lead singer of the 80's cheese-metal band, Giuffria, David Glen Eisley (I knew I recognized that voice). Isn't this kind of information what the internet was created for?
....well, that was going to be it, until I started listening to my girls as they play with their Barbies (trademark-thingie inserted here). Apparently, one of them is a single mother who is marrying someone, that the daughter doesn't like, because "it's what's best for the family". (taken pretty much from the movie "Nanny McPhee"). I watched that movie with them (a little cute, a lot creepy) and I really just thought, "well that wasn't so bad (happy ending for all, of course). But what they (the girls) got out of it was more of a socio-economic lesson than I would've ever imagined. Always interesting to see the world through a child's eyes.

1 comment:

Shandra said...

Glad it was Nanny McPhee and not Super Nanny!